Gehwol Nail Softener
Gehwol Nail Softener works quickly and painlessly to soften hard and difficult to trim nails. It makes an excellent home treatment for corns and calluses around toenails, as well as uninfected ingrown toenails.
Softens hard skin beneath the nail and in the nail fold so that it can be easily removed without pain. Involuted nails are nails that curve too much and pinch in on the skin, causing pain much like an ingrowing toe nail.
Contains bisabolol which helps prevent redness and irritation across inflamed skin – especially helpful when treating an ingrown or involuted toenail.
The pack contains a 15ml bottle with an application pipette dropper. Dermatologically tested and suitable for diabetics.
How to avoid ingrowing and involuted toenails
There are 2 types of ingrowing toenails with a degree of cross over.
- True ingrowing toenails
- Involuted or deformed ingrowing toenails
True Ingrowing toenails:
Usually seen in teenagers and into early 20’s, these nails penetrate into the skin and produces an over growth of weeping highly vascular tissue around the nail known as hypergranulation. This type of ingrowing nail needs early intervention to avoid surgery. Simple changes to nail care and footwear as outlined below can help, but if the problem doesn’t resolve in a week or two, seek appropriate help from a podiatrist qualified in local anaesthetics (this can be checked on the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) website).
Often a weak arch puts more pressure on the soft tissues under the big toe, forcing the skin around the nail to push against the nail. In these situations arch supporting insoles and orthotics can be of use.
As we get older, the long-term use of shoes can cause our nails to slowly deform and turn in at the free edges. This is far more common in ladies, because of the narrower toe box shoes they tend to wear. However, gentlemen who have worn more pointed formal shoes are also more at risk.
Also as toe muscles weaken stresses on the ends of are toes can change, putting more stress on the skin around the nails, forcing them together.
The problem can usually be managed by regular chiropody treatment, and few require surgery, although it can still be the best longterm option for some.
Avoid ingrowing toenails by:
- Avoid tight fitting shoes with narrow toe box
- Avoid tight fitting hosiery
- Use an astringent around toes to stop skin becoming soft if feet are sweaty. This is of more use in younger people to avoid true ingrowing toenails
- Try TOETOE® Socks to spread toes apart
- Try strengthening your toes: This can often resolve early ingrowing toenails
- Try taking pressure off the big toe inside shoes with orthoses that can improve big toe motion when walking and running. The NINE TO FIVE Insoles take up less space in more dress shoes, but the X-Line offer better arch support for exercise
Sign up to receive our newsletter and special offers
By improves elasticity of your cuticles, Gehwol Nail Softer targets and treats the discomfort of ingrowing toenails.
Long Term Care
The Nail Softener can provide long-term care from your nails,keeping them healthy and protecting them from developing fungal infections.
Gehwol Nail Softener is quick, easy and painless to use – a couple of drops a day is all it takes.
To use: Apply a little onto a finger or toenail edges using the pipette 1-2 times a day until the pressure and pain subsides.
- It is advisable to carry out a patch test before using any essential oil
- Not to be used on broken skin
- It must not be used during pregnancy, while breastfeeding or by those affected by epilepsy
- Cancer patients should seek advice from their oncologist before using the product
- This product is not to be used on children under 5 years of age
- Care should also be taken if suffering from any respiratory disorders or allergiesOnce opened, use within 6 months.
In the unlikely event of an adverse reaction, stop use immediately.
- Medicated soap & vaseline to help soften surrounding hard skin
- Bisabolol, reduces redness and irritation from inflamed skin
- Ethanolamine, for softening nail
Dermatologically tested and suitable for diabetics.